There are a number of reasons why you may want to conditionally upload your files:
- There may be ethically or commercially sensitive data
- You may not have permission to make the data available (i.e. the research hasn’t be published yet)
- Your data may be stored somewhere else, but you want to link to it to get a DOI
1. How to upload a confidential file
Once you have selected a file to upload, scroll to the bottom of the page and tick Make file(s) confidential. You can include a reason why the item is confidential. The GIF below includes an example of a confidential item.
2. How to link an external file
Click the Link file button at the top of the screen and copy the link in the box. This option only appears if you haven’t uploaded a file to the item. The below GIF includes an example of a linked file item on Figshare.
3. How to upload an embargoed file
Select the Apply Embargo button and select whether you want the embargo on the file(s) only or the metadata, as well. Select the embargo period and the reason. The below GIF includes an example of an embargoed item on Figshare.
4. How to make metadata records
Tick the Metadata record only box at the top of the screen and enter a reason. This option only appears if you haven’t uploaded a file to the item. The below GIF includes an example of a metadata record.