The following policy applies to figshare.com only. For institutional users, please check with your institutional administrator or consult your data deposit policy.
Our submission policy is as follows:
- deposit data - Figshare have partnered with DataCite and so we are suitable for publishing data (as opposed to papers )
- deposited by an individual - figshare.com is intended for individual researchers and members of the public and should not be used for commercial purposes
In order to publish data on Figshare, users must also satisfy the following:
- data must be 'Research Data', this should be taken to mean non-traditional research outputs, i.e anything that is not a journal article such as figures, supplementary figures and theses.
However, data must not:
- have already been published, and therefore already have a DOI
- be copyrighted (if you are unsure please check with the publisher or owner)
- contain sensitive information (for example: medical data and personal data as defined by the Data Protection Act, click here for more information).
Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE)
Furthermore, Figshare is an active member of COPE, adopting the common principles and ethics of the traditional academic community, and ensuring transparency and best practice. If a situation presents itself around authorship and plagiarism, we will act straight away and if requested, can refer your case to COPE to find a solution. http://publicationethics.org/ Our Policy: We do not curate published data but we maintain the right to take down any data that do not adhere to our terms and conditions. As per our terms, we are able to: remove or disable access to the infringing material. We will notify the content provider, member, or user that it has removed or disabled access to the material; and that repeat offenders will have the infringing material removed from the system and that Figshare will terminate such content provider’s, member’s or user’s access to the Service.
Take-down notice: item(s) will either be placed back into My data as a private item for review or the account is suspended. Either way, we will inform you of what action we have taken.
If you do not agree and would like to speak to a Figshare representative, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or submit a support ticket